Dealing with impaired hormone production? Experiencing the side effects of hormonal imbalance? Struggling with the after-effects of surgery? Hoping to claim a sexuality that you can comfortably identify with? Hormone replacement therapy might just be for you.
Hormone replacement therapy is an umbrella term that refers to a variety of treatment options that all aim to restore or increase hormone levels to help you achieve optimal sexual performance and well-being.
Over the years, these treatments and therapies have been perfected and improved, making them relatively safe and effective across individuals with different backgrounds and medical histories.
What are Sex Hormones?
Essentially, your sex hormones are regulatory substances in your body that promote the development of sexual characteristics and signal certain behaviors and moods. In a nutshell, these hormones are the reason why men look like men and women look like women.
What’s more, the presence of sufficient levels of these hormones also have an impact on sexual desire and performance. It is possible for an individual to experience dip in the production of these hormones. When that happens, certain sexual-related symptoms may start to manifest and may significantly impact overall health and wellness.
How is the Production of Sex Hormones Impaired?
Much like any other physiological function, the production of hormones can also be impaired. When this happens, the depletion of sex hormones can manifest a variety of symptoms that don’t only impact a person’s sexual life, but also other aspects of their health.
For men, a depletion in the concentration of testosterone in the body can lead to:
- Erectile dysfunction
- Decreased sex drive
- Loss of energy
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Loss of muscle mass
- Increased body fat
For women, a decrease in estrogen and progesterone can be marked by:
- Decreased vaginal secretion, leading to painful sex
- Increased risk for urinary tract infections
- Absent or inconsistent periods
- Mood swings affecting social participation
- Hot flashes
- Tenderness of the breasts
- Abdominal cramps
While many of us often associated sex hormones with sexual activities, these regulatory substances actually play a role in far more than that. Needless to say, any condition that affects the balance of hormones in our system should be immediately resolved in order to achieve optimal physical, mental, and emotional wellness.
So, what might cause hormonal imbalance? There are many different conditions affecting men and women that might have significant impact on their sex hormones.
For men, these include:
- Injury to the genital region, the spine, or the testes
- Treatments and medications for certain medical conditions
- Metabolic disorders
- Tumors and dysfunctions of the pituitary glands
- Conditions affecting blood circulation
- Inflammatory disease
For women, some of the conditions that might cause hormonal imbalance include:
- Any disease, condition, or injury that alters the anatomy and function of the ovaries
- Thyroid disorders
- Excessive physical activity
- Low-functioning pituitary gland
- Being severely underweight or overweight
- Certain medical conditions and the medications used to treat them
Not everyone will experience or acquire the majority of conditions associated with depleted sex hormones. However, everyone will go through the process of aging, which means that a decrease in sex hormone levels will be something that we all will have to deal with sometime in the future.
How Does Hormone Replacement Therapy Help?
As the name indicates, hormone replacement therapy is a form of treatment that helps replace lost hormones by providing individuals with bioidentical hormones to bridge the gap and restore proper levels. HRT can be administered in a variety of ways, each of which comes with its own unique set of pros and cons.
- Pills – Hormone pills for men or women are essentially small doses of either male or female sex hormones administered in the form of a pill or tablet. These are taken on a routine schedule, and should be taken consistently for an extended period of time to produce the desired results. They’re far cheaper than most other options, but they do risk sudden dips and rises in a person’s hormonal balance because of the variable of schedule. Miss a dose, and you risk experiencing a sudden low that could manifest a variety of symptoms.
- Gels and Patches – These topical options are applied once a day and deliver a steady dose of hormones throughout the 24-hour period. They’re far slower than other treatment options and are typically used in combination with other treatments.
- Injectables – Sexual health practitioners administer a shot of hormones into buttocks. Depending on the specific injectable prescribed, you may have to have at least 1 shot every two to four weeks. In many cases, sexual health doctors instruct individuals as to the proper administration of the shot so they can self-inject at home.
- Implants – Hormone implants – otherwise called hormone pellets – are implanted under the skin in the area of the abdomen or hip. The pellet then releases sex hormones over a period of up to 6 months. Often considered the most ideal HRT option, this strategy requires zero active patient participation, letting you receive a steady dose without the need to adhere to a dosage schedule, unlike the other HRT types.
Are Hormone Replacement Therapy Procedures Safe?
In general, yes, they are. But if you want to make sure that you’re receiving the best possible chance at results without the risk for side effects or adverse reactions, look for a Kansas City sexual health clinic that uses bioidentical hormones.
At Evrnu, we use only the highest quality bioidentical hormones that mimic the exact chemical structures of sex hormones as they occur in your system. This means that our hormones are natural and safe, allowing you to achieve the optimal results with little risk for side effects and unwanted reactions.
So, if you’re seeking sound, effective, and comfortable care to help address your hormonal imbalance and the symptoms that come with it, visit Evrnu. Our team or board licensed sexual health doctors are ready to help you create a tailor-made HRT plan to help you achieve sexual wellness like never before!